Friday, January 06, 2006

Thanks? giving...

Have I mentioned in my blog yet that I absolutely hate diabetes? Well, I do!

I haven't written in a few days, life has been very busy getting in my way, and I'm doing the best I can to find any free time at all it seems. Anyhow, in order to try catching up, I'll relate a story from back on Thanksgiving day...

We got in to mom's house about 11pm or so. By the time we got everything carried into the house, and got the kids changed into pajamas it was nearly midnight. Seven hours on the road had taken its toll on me, as well as everyone else, but the kids were wired. They repeatedly needed reminding that it was very late and that they should be sleeping, so it was somewhere near 2am before they finally quieted down and I was able to get to sleep!

6:30am... the children have already decided to wake up. "Please God, tell me its a dream!"

It wasn't. We got up and headed into the living room to turn on cartoons to keep them busy while we figured out what we were doing for breakfast. Three cups of coffee later and I was still in a major fog. So much of a fog that I had used the evening formula to calculate Tori's insulin, and ended up giving her nearly three time the normal morning dose of the fast acting insulin! Kristina normally draws the morning shot, and since Tori has such a small dose anyway, nothing seemed out of the ordinary to me until I saw the look on Kristina's face when I told her the dosage. I realized immediately at that point what I had done.

Cookies for breakfast! Tori took great delight in eating cookies for breakfast as we scrambled to get enough carbs into her to counter the insulin. We ended up getting her to eat about double her normal carbs, and proceeded to begin the testing regimen to make sure she didn't go low.

Low? Not a chance, her sugar spiked up over 500 to around 580, and stayed there until late afternoon before it ever dropped back below 500. Dinner numbers were back to normal range, and the rest of the day seemed pretty normal, but I can't tell you how bad the whole day made me feel, and how much it reinforced my loathing of diabetes.

3 comments:

ryddler said...

Ellen, I got a chuckle out of the "If you've given your child the morning dose in the evening, press one...." line, I could actually hear that in my head as I read it.

Thanks to both of you for sharing how common it really is to make a mistake like that, I had no idea it was so rampant!

Kerri. said...

I have been diabetic for almost 20 years and the idea of cookies for breakfast is still sort of appealing.

I just stumbled upon your blog and I really enjoy your writing. I'll be checking back often.

Kerri.

Shannon said...

Hi,

I found your blog through Diabetes OC. My son was diagnosed when he was 2 1/2, and was started on Humalog and NPH, so I know the challenges you are enduring.

He's on the pump now, but while changing his infusion set and setting up a new cartridge of insulin, I accidently dosed him with 7 units of insulin (he was 3.5 yrs at the time).

My husband and I calculated that he'd need 95 carbs to cover what I dosed him and he had just finished dinner.

He was happy to eat the stash of chocolate my mom left at the house, but not so happy to realize that he had to keep eating whatever we threw at him because he was way too full.

After juice, crackers, cake icing, etc, we covered what I dosed him, but a couple of hours later he was riding at 600.

Needless to say I've never had an accident like that again!